Friday, June 29, 2007

the substitute teacher..

When I was in year nine we were reading S.E Hintons 'The Outsiders' in my English class.. which of course meant we got to see the film. I was just a tad obsessed with Sodapop and Ponytail and desperately wanted to be Cherry. How good were 80's teen films? You just don't see films like that anymore with great ensemble casts and provoking premises..enough substance to bypass the fashion. Except I sooo wanted Molly's prom dress in Pretty in Pink..



but I digress....

The day after watching The Outsiders in class my English teacher was ill - bring on the substitute to be tortured! I went to a fairly rough school.. you get that growing up in suburb that felt isolated from hope. But that's another story... So the substitute teacher arrives and asks where we are up to with The Outsiders. The entire class lied (gotta love teenage solidarity) and said we hadn't seen the film - so we got to watch it again.. Over the course of a couple of weeks our English teacher had several days off and we had a number of different substitute teachers.. I think all up we watched the film 4 times. Maybe that explains why one of the only things I learned in school was a love of anything to do with filmmaking and art.. which would explain where I am today with my career.
So last night after a pump class I went straight into my Thursday night yoga class - it's a great way to stretch and lengthen after pump! My usual yoga teacher was sick and we had a substitute. As most people never grow out of teenage maturity sometimes I must admit my yoga class acted the way a 14 yr old would act with a substitute - although they were decidedly a LOT more polite - having learned at least something over the decades. There was just a bit of 'Well No. 1 yoga teacher normally does this (explains process of the usual class) and No. 1 teacher turns the lights to this level.. and on..

Substitute yoga teacher was unfazed by the class of woman who were a tad uncomfortable having their routine unsettled. Instead he took us through a session with poses we hadn't explored before. I haven't seen my yoga class work that hard in a while.. There's definitely something to be said for being brought out of your comfort zone.

At the end of the class I actually did this:



I'm still pumped that I could do that.

I know that was a long winded story about my English class above to in the end a story about yoga.. I tend to tell stories like that... you should feel sorry for my friends..

3 comments:

Steph said...

Wow! That's impressive. I wouldn't even attempt that, I have enough trouble with the downward dog!

Best 80's film ever= The Breakfast Club.

Miss N said...

Steph (welcome!) - i fell over once doing downward dog... my class still thinks I'm 'special' because of that little moment..

agree with The Breakfast Club - twas my major obsession circa 85 - 89. So was St Elmos Fire..

cupcake said...

Oh, St. Elmo's Fire. LOVE that movie.

I met a girl once who went to high school with Andrew McCarthy, and she made out with him one night at a party. She said he was a really good kisser, but he was too short and she had to tilt her head down. I'm thinking I could have lived with that flaw. Especially if we're talking the Andrew McCarthy circa Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo's Fire.