Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Lamb Shanks with Lentils and Mash

I can't live without my Le Chasseur cookware but then again the list of kitchen items I can't live without is quite extensive - so lets just say I can't live without everything in my kitchen - but I adore my Le Chasseur. I love it even more that it was a gift from a treasured Set Dresser on one of the gorgeous Australian films I've worked on recently..

Now for one of my favourite winter time recipes that just happens to be Core.

Ingredients

Lamb Shanks - trimmed of visible fat by the butcher
1 1/2 Cups Red Split Lentils - rinsed and drained
1 Diced Onion
2 Cloves Crushed Garlic
1 Zucchini
1 Carrot
1 Can Crushed Tomato
4 Medium Washed Potatoes
2 Tbl Olive Oil
2 tsp Dried Herbs
1 tsp Paprika

Method

Heat Olive Oil in the pot and brown the Lamb Shanks. Set them aside and fry the olive oil and garlic until soft. Add the dried herbs and paprika and stir through the onion/ garlic mix..


Put the lamb back in and add the carrot (sliced). Fry gently for 2 min then add the stock and the can of tomatos.


Simmer for 10 mins then add the Lentils. Cook (with the lid on) for another 45 minutes - gently. Either in the oven or on the stove top - the beauty of Le Chasseur!



Add the sliced zucchini and cook for another 30 mins - or until you see the lamb start to pull away from the bone - then you know it's super tender and very yummy!

When it gets close to serving time make the mashed potato - I 'm sure you all know how to do that. I leave the skins on to give a rustic texture. Yes. Yes and because I can be lazy..



Then just serve.. not the prettiest of meals but oh so delicious!

No comments: