Friday, November 16, 2007

Self Education

I've been taking the time over the past few days to read the policies of all the parties who are on the electoral ballots for next weeks Federal Election. I don't like to be told how to preference and I'm taking this election seriously so a little research was needed. I now need a bex and a good lie down!

What is interesting is some of the surprising policies I came across in minor parties that I thought I would agree with and in fact discovered the opposite! There is a lesson to be learnt about doing a bit of reasearch.

It's been painstaking to compare parites and it's no secret I want to see the back of Howard and Costello - I feel much more empowered now going into the booths. I plan to take my time on the Senate ticket and vote below the line laboriously numbering each square. Then I'll go get drunk and watch the votes role in - exciting Saturday night planned! Woot!

While Labor and The Greens are going to score high on the ballot for me in the House of Reps - it's the Senate I'm focusing on. Never again can we have a party like Howard's have such control over the Senate forcing in legislation Australians would never have originaly voted for.

End personal rant/ opinion - it's really all about personal research if you want to be an active voter.

No comments: