Friday, February 29, 2008

Is it vodka o'clock yet?

Now I'm all down with the good old aussie sickie, doona day, mentle health day what have you. How else are you able to make random appointments for real life stuff, catch up on Oprah, visit a friend who just flew back from OS, go to a midday matinee, get one with your couch or generally do what ever you please on a weekday? After all - who hasn't wondered who those people are sitting in cafes or casually shopping at 3pm on a traditional working day. If they are not hard working mums luggin spawn around they are Aussie sickie takers. Yes - for the purpose of my post I am generalising.

I'm even happy for a doona day to be called 'working from home'. I've been known to take them - obviously when my workload won't suffer because not a lot gets done when I work at home.. I'm nothing if not honest about that.

However what I can't tolerate or understand is for someone to just not turn up for work and not call to advise that they won't be here. I have had 3 different people in the past 2 weeks not show and not inform me. By not show I mean not show for days! even a week. I don't have an eagle eye on everyone here so I just assume if I haven't heard otherwise everything is all ok.. When I do find out I have to make the call and find out what is going on, are they still alive etc.. 2 didn't show because they apparently hurt themselves (but failed to follow the strict procedure we have in place of reporting the incidents) and 1 didn't show because 'he was tired and looking after a mate and his car is fucked'. He's been gone 4 days.

I've just had to issue a memo (and I friggin HATE memos) that basically says 'I need to know if you are not going to show up because I sure as hell am not going to go searching for you in a burning building if you are unaccounted for during an emergency'. It was obviously phrased a lot differently to that.. I also threw in a line about replacing them with a casual if they are ill so as to 'lessen the burden on the rest of the crew'. Oh yes I went for a little guilt line there.

Seriously what are they thinking?? Just ring and give me a bullshit story about why you are not going to be here - I'd be less pissed off that way.

Note to self: remember the good ole days of being a pleb with no responsibilities????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OR cunts who accept a job and then ring 2 days before they are meant to start and tell you that they have changed their minds.....
Who ARE these people?????

S X

Anonymous said...

OR cunts who accept a job and then ring 2 days before they are meant to start and tell you that they have changed their minds.....
Who ARE these people?????

S X

Anonymous said...

Tell you what? I'll just be a twit and post that twice ok?

DOH!