Wednesday, May 28, 2008

When I grow up..

I want to know exactly what I want!

It never helps when I'm in interviews and get asked the question "Tell me what you want to do"... See I live up to the cliche of a Libran - a mighty fine sitting-on-the-fence-procrastinating-indecisive Libran with a beautiful home and a love of pretty things. :)

I don't know if The Chat went well or not. I do know I was told I was over qualified for the position he originally thought of me for - not that that is necessarily a bad thing. In fact he stated that the current annual wage is what I deserve - if not more and that he couldn't match it. He did go on to say he was thinking of something probably a bit more senior in position for me.. I need to sit down and think clearly about what direction I want to go in. I've worked in production for a long time. I've been everything from production assistant, coordinator, manager.. Directors Assistant, Producers Assistant, Writers Assistant. I've managed budget worth millions. I've run a department. I've set up a number of production offices of high profile feature films on locations. I've worked closely with creatives as well as non creatives. I like to be across it all. I like to be fully involved in the production. I'm not entirely happy just in one area... which is what is going on with me at the moment... except in my current job I tend to be across it all because I start working on this job months before the rest of the crew and producers start..

I am currently trying to write the EP an email to say thanks for the chat and highlight my strength areas etc.. He wants to keep an 'open dialogue' over the coming months while we try and figure out how I fit in with his production company. It's time for me to start making the move towards producing.. but saying the words: 'I want to be a Producer' is such a wank - and highly frowned upon in my industry believe it or not...

Time to go running I think to air my head.

1 comment:

Josh said...

The only problem with saying you "want to be a producer" is that it admits that you need to step up to do it.

Just jump in and say that you are a producer! Everyone knows the assistants do all the real work and with that level of cheek you will find you are holding the key to the next floor and a corner office.

Go get 'em.