Last night I went for the first long-ish run I've done in just over a week. A very sore calf muscle kept me away from running and mainly in the gym concentrating on strength training with free weight workouts or Body Pump. I did a couple of sessions on the elliptical to keep the cardio up after weight training.
I was curious to how I would run - I was feeling pretty good when I set out but I always doubt I can get to my pre-determined time goal. Last nights goal was set between 35 and 40 mins. Into my first 10min I was feeling pretty good, my pace (which is too slow for my liking!) was comfortable and my heart rate was steady. I kept thinking to myself "This is a great pace, it's working for me, I'm not dying or out of breath". Then I hit the 20 min mark - which traditionally is when I start to think about what I'm cooking for dinner, what time will I get back from my run, should I stop now etc.. I get a little unmotivated - however new thoughts started running through my head: "Strength building has really worked, my legs feel strong, my body feels strong" and I thought this over and over again until the 30 min mark. At this stage all I could think was "Don't give up - you made it this far, legs are still strong, getting sore but strong". I even upped my pace at this stage - pushed through the final 5 mins and made my goal time.
I inadvertently taught myself the power of mantras to get through my training. My focus can easily slip if I decide early on in my run I won't make it. With just under 3 weeks to go until the Gold Coast 10km I will be adapting Mantras and Affirmations thorughout my endurance training.
No comments:
Post a Comment