Monday, September 1, 2008

Ethical dilemma

If you accidentally knock a glass of red wine over an ex-boyfriend's Laptop during a night of lots of drinking and carrying on.. (other friends present - nothing was going on!) do you offer to completely replace it? Even if you know for a fact he was already looking to buy a new one.. his old one was a mac powerbook and now he wants a mac book pro. Straight up when it happened the very first thing I said was - 'I'll replace it' (goodbye tax cheque).. Obviously the first thing I thought though was 'Why the hell was that damn thing on the coffee table when we were all a little crazy!'

We have since had a massive argument (about something completely unrelated) and no longer friends - for the 100th time. My feeling now is to just offer him a certain (generous) amount that I know is more then what he would of got on ebay for his old one when it was not full of shiraz..

What would you do?

Update: He's due at my house in 10mins - to TALK. erggg

9 comments:

cupcake said...

I would not pay a dime.

I would write and say, "When you feel like talking to me again, let's discuss the laptop." Put the ball in his court.

Me said...

Doesn't make any sense to pay for anything in this particular circumstance. I don't even need to be having a party to know the saftey and security of my laptop is my own. Unless you intentionally did it, which you didn't, you're not at all responsible.

Miss N said...

cupcake - I've been feeling that way for days! stupid thing is he has a way of making me feel like I'm in the wrong - always.

orhan - ditto. that was my number 1 thought.. .see above my answer to cupcake and why I feel so guilty.. arrrgg..

Anonymous said...

any chance he can claim it on his contents insurance?

missfee said...

was the party at his house - I am asking myself why was the computer out where the shiraz would fall on it - maybe his subconcious put it there so he would have to replace it - I think if you feel like you have to pay - it is only the replacement value of the item at the time of demise - ie the ebay price not a full replacement.

hope it went well....

Miss N said...

notjustfinishedyet - no insurance..but that will be the next thing I suggest for his new computer..

missfee - it was at a mutual friends house and if it wasn't me that knocked the glass flying it could have been someone else.. I'll update where we are at in the post.. didn't go well.

Josh said...

Check out the excess on his house and contents insurance...maybe offer to split that.

It becomes a win/win. Les $$$ for you, new computer for him.

Good luck.

Josh said...

Ah, just saw the comment on insurance. He is therefore an idiot and deserves none of your cash :)

Laptops (indeed houses) and parties should no mix without protection...

missfee said...

I agree Josh - one and one's laptop should always be protected when at a party. Stay safe and wear protection - isn't that what we were taught?