Tuesday, December 30, 2008

and so this is Christmas...

After a slightly awkward Christmas morning upon waking the day just clicked into gear.. We fluffed about - wrapped presents for the family.. Well I wrapped and kept getting in trouble for taking too long to get ready.. Mum rang around 10 and my oldest brother was going to have to leave her place to get to dad's and would miss me.. Urg! I knew I should of gotten out of bed earlier!

First stop was Mum's house.. that is after we journeyed briefly past the place we went to school, the shopping centre we hung out at (because there was F else to do where I grew up!) and the train station we used to have to walk an hour from our houses at 6am in order to get to Uni by our first class... Not the major reason Teenage Love and I moved out of home but definitely a contributing factor.

So into my family home and my mother almost faints.. Lot's of 'Oh Wow!' "Oh my - Look at you two' "It's like 20 years hasn't passed'... and I even think she flirted with him! She was always a flirt. My Step Dad greeted him with the same nick name he used when we were kids...

So we freak my parents out for a while - have a lovely cold lunch and a few beers (well teenage love was driving so he behaved).. then on our way to my darling Nicky's house. The mother of my Godson - the woman who is perfect in my eyes no matter what.. Another cold lunch.. a few more beers.. Teenage Love gets along great with everyone - plays with the children.. Is a hit with the neighbours - so much so that they go and get other neighbours to come over and meet him.. oy..

All the while of course we are answering questions about when we dated - how long for - what has happened in between.. It's was almost like a on location version of This is your Life.. So where it was headed was no surprise..

Final stop was dinner at his families house.. Now the back story here is that I was never the most popular person to his family.. Back in the day they were staunch JW's and I was 'That Girl that took him away'. His mother and I used to have crazy arguments about dinosaurs and creationism.. I was 16 - but I always felt like I won! He had one particular sister that DESPISED me in high school - she is younger by 2 years and I always thought it had more to do with taking up his time that she so valued.. Well dinner was fun! Seriously it was.. And why are previously staunch JW's doing Christmas dinner??? You see their mother passed away 6 years ago and she was actually the one that made them join the religion - since her passing they have missed her and mourned her but enjoyed coming into their own beliefs. We swapped old stories of how much they were not fond of me but how 'pleasantly surprised' they are now..

My Teenage Love and I have had very different lives then those we visited today. We have both lived and worked in the UK and the States. We have both focused very heavily on our careers. We have both put off growing up a the same way those in our neigbourhood did. We have both not had children... So guess what subject came up when we got back to my house Christmas night?

No comments: