Tuesday, March 6, 2007

First C25K challenge

I started week one, session one of the Couch to 5k program last night.. and I hurt! I woke up hurting - at 4am... went back to sleep dreaming of sore legs and butt! then my nieghbours cleaners turned up at 5.30am to start their cleaning day.Problem with this is that their air con units face my bedroom and even though the sun had barely risen they felt the need to put the units on! This is why we have a global warming problem my friends.

However - back to C25k - it's hard.. but the Robert Ullrey podcast makes it bearable - just! I'm not a runner.. I don't look like a runner and I know I sure as hell don't run like one! but for 29 minutes last night i did a damn fine attempt (badimpersonation) at joining the ranks of the pavement pounders.. only I was the one with a bright red face and there may have been some chest clutching at some point.

This weeks program sounds simple enough - Brisk 5min walk - 60 sec run - 90 sec walk - repeat the run and walk cycle 8 times then cool down.. I got halfway and thought I was doing remarkably well and then I wasn't. and it sucked. but I won't give up.

This is a photo from 1917 of the park I run in. I've spent more time in this park like the people in the photograph..
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the park how it looks most days now.. add a 100 people, at least 50 dogs and a whole team of ridiculously fit cyclists in your line of vision and you will see what I see.